Skip to Content

Double Major - Secondary Education

About the Education Double Major

The Education Double Major is only intended for students seeking teacher certification in select high school subject areas.  Students wanting to teach high school should consult with an Academic Advisor in the college of their major to determine whether declaring this double major in Education or a minor in Secondary Education is the appropriate avenue for fitting the required education coursework into their content-specific degree program. 

Degree Planning and Sequencing

NOTE:  Information included on checksheets is subject to change. 
For the most updated information for each degree plan, students should refer to the appropriate Undergraduate Catalog and track their progress using a Degree Audit.  Additionally, we encourage all students to meet on a semester basis with the Academic Advisor for their major, who will also offer guidance about course planning within the minor.

While students may continue following a catalog year degree plan for six years, other planning factors such as course offerings or rotations and prerequisite sequencing are subject to change each year.  For that reason, the most current degree plan sequencing guide is available below; students with questions about navigating older degree plans are encouraged to meet with an advisor.

2024 Catalog

See the Bachelor of Arts with a double major in Education Transfer Table created for students transferring from Texas public community colleges!

See the Bachelor of Science with a double major in Education Transfer Table created for students transferring from Texas public community colleges!

Transfer Planning

NOTE:  This resource is intended to help you PLAN AHEAD, so be sure to reference the link below before taking transfer coursework whenever possible.

Students planning to earn college credit at another institution for eventual transfer to Texas State should refer to the Transfer Equivalency Guide to determine how that coursework would be evaluated by Admissions.

Did you earn credits toward an AAT? [Associate of Arts in Teaching]
A 'C' or better in EDUC 1301 can satisfy CI 2310.
A 'C' or better in EDUC 2301 can satisfy SPED 4344. 

Course Substitution Requests

You may request evaluation of a course taken previously or that you plan to take to confirm whether it is equivalent to a degree requirement in your minor.

If approved, provide documentation of that approval to your advisor in order for the course substitution to be reflected on your Degree Audit.

Submit: Secondary Education Double Major