Skip to Content

Error Messages

If you're unable to access the entire 'Registration & Schedule Changes' system, you should review the information regarding Access Times and/or Holds

Below you'll find an explanation of what each specific course error message means and what your options are in responding to it and registering.

  • Student classification is based on the number of credit hours completed (not including any hours you are currently in the process of earning).  

    Freshman Completed fewer than 30 credit hours
    Sophomore Completed 30-59 credit hours
    Junior Completed 60-89 credit hours
    Senior Completed 90+ credit hours

    The course you are attempting to register for requires a certain classification that you have not met.
    (i.e. Most 3000-4000 level courses require at least junior status)

    Your options at this time are to:

    •       Register for alternative courses in your degree plan by referring to your Degree Plan Checksheet for
                course options
                   Generally, if you do not meet the classification requirements for certain upper-division courses in your
                   degree plan, there are still lower-level courses in your degree plan that you should be working on first.


    •       Contact your advisor if there is an error and you do in fact have more credit hours completed than
                what your classification status reflects so that we can look into the problem.
  • The section of the course you are attempting to register for does not have any seats available. 
    Your options at this point include:

    • Select a different section of the same course that does have available seats (i.e. class may meet at a different day and time)
    • Register for an alternative course that fits into your degree plan and take the closed class in a different semester (you should consult with an advisor to be sure that pushing back the class will not push back your projected graduation date)
    • Continue re-visiting the registration site to check the course's seat availability throughout the remainder of each registration period (see the Academic Calendar for a complete list of the registration periods for a semester; look for Registration, Late Registration & Schedule Changes, and Schedule Changes)
    • Contact the Academic Department that offers the course to inquire about options for submitting closed class requests

         ***For instructions regarding Closed Class requests, please refer to our Closed Classes page.

  • The course or course section you are attempting to register for is resricted to students that fall into a certain cohort or group.  The University has created this option for certain programs that intend for their students to take courses together as they progress through their degree plans.  example:  Residential College program, FOCUS program

    Your options include:

    • Register for a different section of the same course
                 In most cases, cohort restrictions are placed only on selected sections of courses leaving other
      of the same course available to everyone else

    • Find out about joining the cohort
                 By contacting the academic department of the course (i.e. the Philosophy Department about a
      PHIL course), you can find out which cohort the class is restricted to - then explore the University
      website to find out about that student group and requirements for joining
  • Department Approval is required for certain courses and for certain sections of courses for a variety of reasons. 

    A general rule of thumb is this:  If you don't know why a certain course or a certain section of a course requires department approval, you are probably not supposed to be registering for that class.

    A few options available to you are:

    • Try registering for a different section of the same course.
                 If several sections exist for a single course, it is very likely that one or some of the sections will be
      designated for special purposes and for unique student groups (i.e. University Honors program, Varsity
      athletes, Round Rock campus, etc.) but other sections of the course are open to everyone else
    • If all sections of the course require department approval and you believe you should be taking the course,
          you should contact the Academic Department to ask about receiving a Department Override
          (i.e. for a CI course, contact the CI Department; for an ENG course, contact the English Department, etc.)
  • The course you are attempting to register for requires instructor approval prior to registration.

    Your options are:

    • Register for a different section of the same course that may not require instructor approval
    • Contact the instructor of the course requesting to be permitted into the class
               The course listing in the 'Class Search' function of 'Registration & Schedule Changes' includes the name
      of the instructor assigned to the course.  You can find that instructor's contact information by searching
      their name in the top right-hand box of the Texas State homepage.
  • Most departments manage course enrollment by permitting only students who have declared a certain major or minor to enroll in many of their courses. 

    Your options are to:

    • Refer to your Degree Audit and/or Degree Plan Checksheet to confirm whether you are actually attempting to register for a course that is required for your degree plan; you may have inadvertently been searching for the wrong course.
    • Check the Major/Minor information listed at the top of your Degree Audit to confirm that you are officially declared as having that major/minor.  If the major/minor information listed there is not correct, you will need to schedule an advising appointment to have your curriculum records updated.
    • If your Major/Minor information at the top of your Degree Audit is correct and the course you are attempting to register for is not required for your degree plan but you have a particular reason for wanting to take the course, you can try contacting that academic department to request a Major Restriction Override (i.e. for a    Geography course, you would contact the Geography department)
  • The registration system will permit students in good Academic Standing to register for up to 18 credit hours in a long semester (fall or spring).

    Per the Undergraduate Catalog, Graduating seniors or other students with a Texas State GPA of 3.50 or higher may register for 19 or more credit hours (up to 22 credit hours).  

    Education majors who meet the following regulations laid out in the Undergraduate Catalog, however, may request an override by emailing the College of Education Advising Center at  Please be sure to include your name, ID #, and reason for exceeding the maximum number of credit hours.

  • You can view the prerequisite requirements for the course you are attempting to register for by using the 'Class Search' function in 'Registration & Schedule Changes', clicking on the blue CRN number of the section you are attempting to register for, then clicking on the blue course title and scrolling to the bottom of the page.

    Since there are often a number of different prerequisite requirements for a course, you should start by determining which prerequisite(s) in that list the system may be identifying you as being deficient of.

    From there your options are:

    • Register for an alternative course.
      If you realize upon viewing the prerequisites that you indeed do not meet the prerequisites for that course, most likely you should be working on taking the appropriate coursework this semester so that you will meet those prerequisites at a later date.  You may refer to your Degree Plan Checksheet and your Degree Audit for course options in your degree plan.
    • Request a prerequisite override.                   
      If you meet the prerequisite requirements for a course in a way that the registration system does not recognize (i.e., ELNA credit or a course substitution, off-campus coursework not yet posted to your transcript), you can contact the College of Education Advising Center to request assistance.                      
  • The course you are attempting to register for conflicts with something else you have already added to your schedule.  You can review your current schedule while in 'Registration & Schedule Changes' by clicking on 'View my schedule' on the left side of the screen near the top. 

    Your options are to:

    • Select a different section of the course you are attempting to add so that there is no longer a time conflict
    • Drop the conflicting course from your current schedule, select a different section of that original course, than 
          proceed with adding the new course as desired

    If multiple courses you need are offered only at conflicting times, you should consult with your advisor to determine which course is more urgent for you to take this semster.

  • ESS 3317/3117

  • GS 3310 and GS 3320